01 December 2023

Being is becoming. The basic message of Buddhism. Interconnexion. Interpenetration. Everything connected. Everything bleeding into everything else. We must feel this as a reality rather than think it as concept.

I stand before a tree. I behold that tree. I allow my being to receive an impression of that tree and thereby I become the tree. I am impressionable. And as I behold (become) the tree so the tree beholds (becomes) me. I both behold and am beheld (and thereby beholden). This is what connexion means and is perfectly natural. 

The internal monologue prevents this process. It protects us from becoming the world. This is understandable since the world we have made for ourselves is largely ugly, boring and demeaning, and this is why it is imperative that we encounter the natural world regularly. Otherwise we forget what it means to be really alive.

No comments