23 May 2005

Reading

Letter to Ray Deady

When I shy away from reading the many interesting books out there on TaiChi & other worthy subjects it's only because I don't want that kind of distraction anymore.
Information doesn't really interest me as such because it doesn't help me go forward on the path I've chosen (or rather the path that's chosen me).
I have found from experience that the only information I can trust is that which comes from or through personal contacts, and not stuff gathered from reading.
The only truth is heart to heart
and we fight for what we love not are.
The problem for most of us (especially me) is to use the head less & the heart more.
In the context of the work this means connecting more & more deeply with the living internal aspect of the teaching which comes through my teacher.
I can only justify his belief in me if I ensure I am not cluttered with other teachings, however trivial.

The concept of a living internal teaching is something that is lost in our present culture.
Despite intellectually understanding the meaning of the phrase, it takes many years to fully understand & appreciate its importance & significance.
Without being connected to a living internal teaching one cannot be fully alive.
My teacher used to describe it as a river of knowledge.
He said that most people dip their toes into the river, and maybe a few even paddle & swim in it, but it is only those who completely immerse themselves forever that receive the true teaching.
Other teachings come from different rivers.
Different rivers definitely do not mix.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't read the books (or people) you come across.
By all means do.
But try to feel them in the context of our teaching, & keep your pulse on the stuff we do, which is all about interacting with other living entities, which is always a matter of heart & not head.

Remember that language is not a good model of reality.
Anything that is truly real cannot be described with words.

No comments