07 July 2005

Listening



I don't know if any of you saw the Alan Yentob programme on TV last night about concert pianists. There was an interesting bit when Stephen Hough was talking about the Rachmaninoff Second whilst seated at the piano. He demonstrated some point he was making verbally with a few seconds of piano playing, and as he finished there was a split second when he was divided between the piano and interview. At that point the piano really resounded like it hadn't whilst he'd been fully intent on what he was playing. The point I'm making is that there is nothing rarefied or precious about spirit, it is there all the time if only we wouldn't smother it with self. It reminds me of when I lived for a short while in Stoke Newington (summer 1988). I used to get up early (5am) and practice my Tai Chi in Clissold Park. I had to climb over the fence because it wasn't opened till later. I would do my practice by the animal enclosure. As I got into the Forms the deer would come and watch and the rabbits that had escaped from the enclosure (there were many) would scamper around my feet, treating me as though I were just another harmless bit of Nature (in actual fact it felt as if they appreciated the company). When the park finally openned and other people started passing through, the animals would disappear, especially if the person was walking a dog. There is something about Tai Chi which naturally looks at things softly and aslant, without imposing or forcing any issue at all. Communion. I would call that a potentially deeper level than the communicative efforts of the concert pianists who all looked terribly tense. They could all have done with a good dose of Tai Chi. Having said that, I must admit that I often listen to Maria Joao Pires.
Tell all the Truth but tell it slant -

No comments