31 May 2019


2 comments

taiji heartwork said...

Hiroshi Sugimoto

taiji heartwork said...

My process when making art is to first question myself before taking pictures. What am I thinking? What do I want to do? And this self-questioning led me to some thoughts...

The ancients who lived on the surface of the earth, who lived long before civilization occurred, who lived tens of thousands of years ago when humans were just starting to be conscious of being human, I imagined their vision of the world and compared it to my own vision as a modern person. I wondered which kind of scenery we could all share. I thought it could be seascapes. The ground is, well... humans cut down forest trees and changed its shape. So on the ground there is no shared vision. But at sea, although humans have polluted them, if you went to an uncivilized place, then a similar form of seascape may still exist. So by questioning what the shared vision between the ancients and the people of today was I came up with the idea of seascapes...

Only capitalism will survive. It may prove that it's not possible to control human desire. The basis of capitalism is continuous expansion of production. That means humans will continue to cut down forest trees. Capitalism won't stop until humans deplete all natural resources. Resources are limited so inevitably they will run out. So, in order to face a failure likely to happen in the near future, we should see once again the seascape that the ancients saw, to revert us to our innocent minds. So my work hopefully gives us an opportunity to think before destroying ourselves...

Hiroshi Sugimoto